Home » » Zagat’s World Best Movies

Zagat’s World Best Movies

Zagat’s World Best Movies
 Zagat's Movies Best All The Time
Zagat recently released what they consider to be the top 1000 movies of all time in their Zagat’s World Best Movies book. I love watching movies so wanted to find out what they had at the top of their list and maybe set myself the challenge of watching them all.

One of the things I love about movies is that they give me an immense amount of entertainment and exercise all my emotions. With the fact that it’s easy to get them streamed via services like Netflix, OnDemand or just by popping down to the video store it makes for an affordable and fun night in. I love the kinds of lists Zagat has compiled too as it pits the thoughts of everyone else against my own movie likes and dislikes.

To create the list in the book Zagat surveyed 20,773 people who voted on their website Zagat.com. The book rates each movie on their 30-point scale that has four categories: Overall Quality, Acting, Story and Production Values.
Zagat’s World Best Movies top 20

I have not grabbed the book yet but luckily Zagat published the top 20 on their site Zagat.com. I took a look over them and decided to post them with some brief comments.

1) The Godfather (1972) – Amazing and intense movie. Pacino is just amazing in this movie, or was that in Godfather part II! Not sure this is the best but it is a damn good movie.
2) The Godfather Part II (1974) – As I kind of mentioned in the comment above Godfather I & II do merge together for me and they are both absolutely stunning movies. Don’t forget DeNiro’s turn in this movie and of course Brando. I love the fact that these movies supposedly changed the way the mob behaved as they wanted to be more like the characters in the movies!
3) Casablanca (1942) - I feel embarrased to say this but I have never seen this movie but it is now on my list!
4) Schindler’s List (1993) - Awesome film with one of my favorite actors (Ralph Fiennes). Even if not fully historically accurate the sentiment in this film makes it deserving to be on this list.
5) Lawrence of Arabia (1962) – Again, another I have not seen but one I have to one day very soon. Sometimes these classics do feel like a burden to get take the time out to watch but often they don’t dissapoint.
6) To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) – Not seen it or read the book, shame on me!
7) Star Wars (1977) - I prefer round three of these movies but they don’t reach my top 20 partially because there are so many better Sci Fi movies out there and Mark Hamil is a terrible actor.
8) The Wizard of Oz (1939) - Actually really good even though it’s a bit olde fashioned. Never done the Dark Side of the Moon thing though, have you?
9) Lady Eve (1941) – Never even heard of this movie! Must watch it.
10) Singin’ in the Rain (1952) – I can’t stand musicals but maybe just maybe in the name of the list I will make myself watch it!
11) Rear Window (1954) - I recently started catching up on my lack of Hitchcock viewing and can’t wait to see this movie.
12) It Happened One Night (1934) - Again sadly never heard of this movie either!
13) Citizen Kane (1941) - I found this movie a bit pompous and boring to be honest. Mr Welles did a great performance but it could have run a lot shorter.
14) Shawshank Redemption (1994) – Well what can be said for this movie! For me a top 5 for sure although may need a re-watch as I have not seen it for years. The line “He crawled through a river of sh*t and came out clean on the other side” sticks with me.
15) All About Eve (1950) – Had to scroll up as thought this was on the list already. Another I have never heard of before!
16) The Pianist (2002) – (oops, I original got this confused with The Piano so talked about the wrong movie. I have not seen the Pianist but here Brody put in a hell of a performance so plan to see it). *Mistaken original comments* – This movie was pretty good but I did not find amazing. Although the talks afterwards made it grow on me. The representation of Natives, the connotations towards sex, rape and domination. This movie is deep and interesting and a feminists playground.
17) African Queen (1951) - Not seen and don’t know much about it but must watch.
18) Third Man (1949) – I know this is a classic I must see very soon!
19) Finding Nemo (2003) – Pixar can’t do any wrong but I don’t thing Nemo should have been the one to make this list. I can’t deny it is a great film but for pure film making genius UP beats it for me. The first time I felt such intense sadness from a cartoon ever and Nemo didn’t do that to me at all!
20) Dr. Strangelove (1964) - I love the Pink Panther movies but never saw Sellers in this movie. I will pick up this movie very very soon.

I don’t agree with the list a whole lot but as you can see I have probably seen less than half of them. I expected a few more modern movies and no foreign film (that I can see) made the cut so I don’t know if the list was for USA movies only. 20k people can’t be wrong though, right? I must complete watching every movie on this list.

What do you think of the “Zagat’s World Best Movies” list and what would you have put in?

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.